The History of Frecheville Library

The library began life in the old farm house that stood where the Methodist church now stands.  When the farm house was demolished Mr Henry Boot offered the house at 2 Brushfield Grove to be used as a library.  Bookshelves, desk and chair were brought from Thornbridge Hall and books came from Derby.  Miss Madelein Chuck ran the library from the front room of the house in Brushfield Grove.  However, in March 1955 Miss Chuck became ill and decided to retire after serving the community for nearly 20 years.  It was decided by local people to raise money as a testimonial of their regard.

In October 1955 an all day professionally staffed library was opened on Smalldale Road.  After numerous threats of closure, SCC relinquished control of the library in September 2014.  On 29th September 2014 the library was taken over by volunteers and FLLC became a registered charity. 

In October 2015 a week of events were held to mark the 60th Anniversary of Frecheville Library.

Created with Mozello - the world's easiest to use website builder.

 . Follow @FLLCsheffield free website hit counter